Sunday, November 16, 2008

Carry The Weight


The new Denison Witmer album, Carry the Weight, is out. I just got it but haven't been able to listen to it much yet.

When I first moved to Pompano Beach in 05 (post Katrina), Denison's last album, Are You a Dreamer?, came out. I drove all around that afternoon and couldn't find it anywhere. Finally, at one record store an employee told me they had been given a promo copy of the album. He gave it to me, with the promise that I wouldn't tell anyone. That cd was so valuable to me that when I got to Brad and Mandi's apartment for Bible Study later that night, I actually brought it inside with me.

Sometimes I would listen to that album at night time while I read Celebration of Discipline or Orthodoxy. That was an incredible year of openness and discovery in my life, embracing Richard Foster and G.K. Chesterton and the emergent church. And Denison's music was the soundtrack to all of that.


"When did we decide that life had to be
All facts and checks, that we lost mystery?"

3 comments:

eric minton said...

are you a dreamer is a great album...and on an unrelated note

or two rather:

a) congrats on almost being married...it's ok
2) living with the weasel full time keeps you on your toes
f) looking forward to your wedding
7) when are you coming out here to do your post grad work...eric's got room in his one room apt.

Chet Harvey said...

I'll check with anna about living with eric. She probably won't have a problem with it. He might make me look bad always doing push ups in the corner and stuff though.

eric minton said...

yeah...his apartment smells like push ups

and beer bottles, its...uh, amazing, that's the word